Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Zoo day

Sunday was a beautiful cold, but sunny day here in Washington. We played hookey from church and headed to the zoo. We have a combined membership to the zoo and NW Trek. Any of you who live here and haven't been to NW Trek need to go. It is our favorite spot.


Northwest Trek Wildlife Park is a treasure for wildlife enthusiasts. The signature tram tour through the 435-acre free-roaming area offers the opportunity to spot different species of animals as they wander through forests, wetlands and meadows. In the core walking-tour area, visitors can get a peek at native wild canines and cats as well as forest and wetland critters. The 723-acre park has a little bit of everything: lakes, trails, meadows and plenty of animals. Located near Mount Rainier in Washington state just south of Seattle and Tacoma, Northwest Trek is home to more than 200 North American animals representing more than 30 species.

Anyway, we didn't go there today, but we did have a nice day at the zoo.




Bean & Bug on the Polar Bear carving at the entrance to the zoo.



What 2yo boy is not fascinated with sharks? His hands and face were pressed to the glass for a good 20 minutes.



Mom, I want to be a gymnast like the gibbon! The Bean is all into gymnastics after watching the Summer Olympics with her mommy.


The walruses were the favorite of the day. They kept swimming right up to the glass and rubbing against it. The male was huge. At first, Bug was a little scared. By the end, we had to physically remove him from the viewing area or he would still be there right now

What a great day! We are really trying to savor being a family of four, because before long we will be 5!

Momma's favorite part of the day was a trip to REI after the zoo. I got a new backpack that will double as a diaper bag. The one I have now just won't cut it for three kiddos!

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Looks like lots of family fun!!

Jana said...

I've spent many a day at that zoo!!! My favorite is the bird show. Looks like it was chilly but fun!!

Shauna said...

Sunday was a great day wasn't it! Your pictures look great. Haven't been to the zoo in awhile, but I suspect that will change in the near future.

Kimmie said...

Looks like you had a nice day of it. Glad you had a nice family day together.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Anonymous said...

What a FUN day!! it is good you are soaking up your time with your kids!! I miss having the freedom & flexiblity to do all those fun things (not that I would trade D for anything!) with Z & R.

Samantha said...

I love the zoo! Glad you had a great family day and hopefully were distracted from waiting for awhile.