I have been doing a lot of heavy reading lately as I try to get through all the adoption material I can, as well as many interesting books about issues in Africa. I asked my friend for a "light" book to read (she has her own personal library) and she passed on this great set of novels that take place in AFRICA. They are light-hearted, very human and let you see a little of life in Botswana. They are The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series written by Alexander McCall Smith. They are a little bit mystery, but not in the sense of any other mystery book I have read-no blood and guts here, and lot about humanity. Check out the first one in the series and see if you can put it down. I thought they were positively delightful!
Friday, May 2, 2008
Light reading
Posted by Our journey at 6:30 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
I love to read. Thanks for the info.
I'll have to check it out too. I love reading, but there never seems to be enough time to work, spend time with the family, read my Bible and read for fun. But, I need some reading material for the airplane.
I did learn that those of us who are still waiting to travel have children who were abandoned. Julie said it can take longer to get through the courts for abandoned children. So, within the next month I hope to have our travel dates.
I hope you're in the single digits by then Amy!
Sharon
Ohhh! That sounds intriguing! I'm trying to balance all my adoption, education, and parenting reading with some plain old good yummy books! SO thanks for the recommendation!
I found your blog...thanks for sharing your story. You write really well. We've also started the process of adoption from ethiopia. We have 4 bio kids and this will make baby #5.
www.weloveourlucy.blogspot.com
Kristi Johnson
I've read this book and it's wonderful! I love to read, but it's hard to find the time. I'm guessing the plane ride is going to give me ample opportunity :)! Thanks for your continued prayers and encouragement - you're wonderful!!! I'm excited to see you guys this summer and have you meet "A." Let's pray you have a referral by then - that would be awesome!!!
Kristin
I was cracking up at your comment on my blog about me being patient & that you would have called the social worker by now. When I got the message, I was logging on to email her to find out when it will be ready. I'm trying to be patient, but I think enough is enough! He, he, he!
Karey
Since I have a long commute for work, I listen to a lot of books on disk, and this was one of them. I listened to the first of the series, after finding it in the library, and found it very interesting. I read a lot of books, frequently about baseball, but also a lot of the classics, and I have gotten into some novels of late as well.
I have also listened to literally dozens of books in the past year or so in my car, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It was especially well narrated/read, and I think they have the same woman reading every book in the series, though I haven't gotten to the next one yet. If you get a chance to hear it, you won't be disappointed.
Now if someone can just write a detective series set in Ethiopia...
Post a Comment