Friday, January 9, 2009

Amazed, blessed, excited and a little bit nervous

Those are just a few of the things I have been feeling this week.

I am so amazed that this journey if finally coming to an end and the next chapter with Dora : ) is about to begin. I am leaving in less than 24 hours and still it seems very surreal. We have been at this since last December, so it feels very unreal that this beautiful child that God placed on our hearts is finally coming home.

I feel so blessed by the number of donations I was able to collect and purchase. God is good and certainly used His people to get the needs of these children taken care of. I can not wait to get a picture of everything I was able to collect.

I am so excited to meet this little girl...to walk down that cobblestone path that others have walked before me...to know this child that God placed on my heart so long ago...to feel the weight of her in my arms. I want to take it all in...every sight...every smell...everything even though I know my heart will be broken further for these children of God.

I am a little bit nervous. I hate to fly. Enough said : )

The family and I traveled up to the Seattle area to stay with my brother overnight before the flight. I am traveling with my fabulous sil and we came up early so we could have time to get everything packed. It only took about 3 hours!! You have to keep re-weighing and re-stuffing the bags to get them just right. I was blessed that another family in our travel group had an extra bag and we went there first and managed to stuff it full of 65 lbs of donations. Then my sil and I used two of our 4 bags for donations. We overstuffed all three bags because with our airlines it is cheaper to exceed the weight by 20 pounds per bag than to pay for an extra bag.

Thank you all for the blessing you have been and continue to be...especially my sisters.

17 comments:

Jana said...

Oh Amy, I can't stand it. I am so excited for you to walk that path. You have been such an encourager to everyone and finally it's your turn. You will have a fab trip. The plane ride is something to just get through, 1 hour at a time. Make sure you bring bland food for the ride. I thought their food was fine, but all I felt like eating was clif bars. The plane ride also definitely has it great moments too, landing in Rome. Going over the Sahara desert. I always felt safe, it's just freaking long. You CAN DO IT!!!! IT'S SO WORTH IT!! I will praying for you.

Michael and Michelle said...

AMY!!!!!!! It's your turn!!!!! You will have your baby in your arms in no time!!! I will be praying for you all week. You are a blessing to me!!!! I am almost in tears for you. The plane ride is NOT that bad....really.....and I HATE to fly. Just start getting to know the other families. Also you will be with mostly Ethiopian people and that in it's self is really exciting!!!! ENJOY EVERY MOMENT!!!!! Praise God every step of the way!!!! You are going to be blessed beyond measure!!!!! I can't wait for you to come home and tell us all about it!

Have a GREAT time....love ya,
Michelle

Eryn said...

Amy, I am SO SO excited for you!!! I have become friends with Andrea B. who you are traveling with from DC on, I think. (she lives here in the Couve like me:)

I have your itenerary printed up and will be praying for EVERYTHING to be a rich rich blessing for you as you bond with baby "dora". You have been such a blessing to me in my own journey...I can't believe it's finally your turn!! yay!!

Much love, Eryn

Dawn said...

YAY!!! The day has FINALLY come!! I agree with the other ladies, Amy. You have been such an awesome support person for everyone on the blogs and listserv. You are simply AMAZING!! Best wishes for a safe journey! We all can't wait to hear all about your trip!! LOVE EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF IT!!!
Dawn :)

jody said...

I am SOOOOO excited for you-my eyes filled with tears at what is awaiting you-so incredible! Enjoy your trip and know people back here are praying and looking forward with anticipation to hearing about your awesome journey!!! Yay for you-God is AWESOME!!!

Maria and Family said...

I am so happy for you!! You are going to have an amazing wonderful time!! I cant wait to hear all about your trip!! And hear how perfect baby girl is "in person"!! I know you are going to be over the moon happy!!!! Fantastic job on the donations too ! That is just wonderful, and such a blessing. Hug on my baby girl if you can and enjoy hugging on YOUR baby girl finally!! :)
Blessings, Maria

Lori said...

I am so excited for you I can hardly stand it. I can't believe you are going to have your little girl in your arms soon!! I am so happy for you! I will be praying for your trip and for your flight, I can't wait to see pictures!!

nell ann said...

AMY! Yay!!! I am so very excited that it is your turn to meet your dear one! Absolutely fabulous. I will be checking in (far too often, I'm sure) anxiously waiting pictures of your union!

Take as much in as possible -- we'll want details. And know that we're praying for you and your family!

Brian and Autumn said...

So happy for you!!!
Love you!
Autumn

Mason Mama said...

Amy!

What an exciting time for your family, I am just tingling all over thinking about that glorious reuinon, I am SO looking forward to seeing this new little one and I cant wait to hear how the trip goes and how meeting the older kiddos come when you get back home. God bless

Candace

Heckert's Highway said...

Oh Amy, I can't wait for you to get back on that plane and bring that sweet girl home. I'm so glad that you are finally there and am praying that you enjoy the experience 100%
Lots of love and prayers!!
Jenn

Three2Five said...

thanks for the shout out... I feel like a horrible sister in the last month. I hope you can forgive me. Maybe you will be better about not losing touch when you are home. I was just a bit overwhelmed. Some good some bad...
Love ya and praying for you while you are gone!

Kristi J said...

Amy...I'm so happy for you guys! I remember some of your first emails to me so long ago...encouraging me in the beginning steps of our adoption and now you're about to board a plane and we're up for our referral...it has all happened so fast and so easily for you and I'm so happy for you all...you deserve this wonderful experience, praying for peace on the plane, kristi

Leann said...

You are arriving home today or tomorrow -- welcome back!!! I can't believe I'm leaving in only 8 days. Where has the time gone?!?!

Kimmie said...

Hi Amy!!

Wondering how you are? Miss you so much already-can't wait for your update...bring on the picture sweet friend!

What a privilege to walk the Ethiopian adoption path with you and Kelly!(we miss Kelly too!)

Sending a big hug and praying for all of you!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Dawn said...

Welcome Home!!! Can't wait to hear about your trip and see pics of Dora in your arms!! :)

Erin said...

Amy,
I'm just dying over here waiting for picture from your trip. Come on, just one photo of your precious girl, PLEASE! Welcome home!
Erin