Sunday, January 6, 2008

The paper chase begins...

We had our orientation phone call on Friday. AGCI (All God's Children International) led us through the steps in the adoption process.

Right now there is plenty to do and a place for us to focus all our attention. We received our Home Study packet on Thursday and are beginning the process of getting everything together for it. A Home Study is something all adoptive and foster parents complete in their state of residence. Once completed, it basically states that we are fit people to parent. Why you don't have to go through one of these to have a biological child I don't know! Some of the requirements are very simple like getting fingerprinted and gathering copies of birth certificates. Others are a little more daunting. J and I have to separately complete a 50 page personal profile. It feels kind of like taking a test that you really don't want to fail, because the stakes are so high.

We have signed all the paperwork and one of J's lovely sisters is coming to notarize them all this afternoon before I drop them in the mail tomorrow. Once AGCI receives this round of paperwork, we will be assigned a case manager and receive our Dossier (more paperwork). Our dossier includes the home study, and is basically a set of legal documents that will include our marriage license, birth certificates, financial statements, medical records, etc.

I know that for us the hardest part will be in several months when all this paperwork is done and we have to begin the waiting game. Once everything is approved and translated, we will have 2-6 months to wait for a referral for a child. Once we accept the referral, we wait 3-5 months for it to reach the Ethiopian courts. The courts approve the adoption and then we are invited to come and pick up our baby. We will try to keep ourselves busy during this time by focusing on fundraising. We plan to do a car wash or two, have a dinner of some sorts and a garage sale.

We are overwhelmed with the support we are receiving from our family and friends . Thanks for being excited for us and for keeping us in your prayers. We are so thankful that God has blessed us with such wonderful love and support!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read about the adoption in the Prayers and Concerns and am so happy for you. Thank you for including me in the blog. The children there need parents so badly. I don't think you will have any problems -- what better parents could they ask for than Amy and Jason! I am praying for your family that all goes well. Love, Jan Dishon

blackberry said...

We are happy for you and your family. This is our first experience with "blogging" so I hope it works.

After all the paper work is done and the waiting has begun, will you have a choice of which child you will be offered?

LLoyd & Cathy

Heckert's Highway said...

Yaaayyyy!! I'm so excited for you guys. If you need any help or have any questions please call me or email too. God speed you to your child!!! love ya, Jenn

Max and Mary Anne said...

We are very happy and excited for you. I can't think of better parents or a nicer family to raise a child. We are celebrating with you and praying for a happy outcome in a few weeks.

Lots of Love,
Max and Mary Anne