Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sand in my hair...and a few other unmentionable places

The PNW (Pacific NorthWest) Conference of our church owns several church camps. I have been going to the one in Long Beach, WA since I was a wee little one myself. It has been great going back as a family and being able to share some of the great times I had as a child with my own kids. For the past four years, we have gone to a family camp every August that is held during a huge Kite Festival. This was Nora's first time on the beach. I knew how much my little girl loved water and was fully expecting her to just take off for the ocean...which she did. What I wasn't quite prepared for was her fascination with the sand. I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.


Paying no attention to her parents and high tailing it for the largest body of
water she had ever seen!


Splashing! Is there anything more fun to do at this age?


For some reason my daughter thought she was a bulldozer and loved walking around with her head pushing up the sand. As you can see from the pictures, her beautiful black hair turned a lovely shade of sand each time we went down to the beach. Yordy has tight curls, that seem to trap all sort of matter. The sand was in her hair for over a week. And yes we do bathe our children, but you try getting ground in sand out of those curls!



I'd say she enjoyed her time at the beach...especially the sand!

11 comments:

Renee said...

Totally feeling you on this one. Noah Tamirat loves loves loves sand. Why did I think a sandbox was a good birthday gift. When we took him to the ocean although he loves water he was more interested in...you guessed it the sand. Lots of buckets of water over the head and scrub scrub scrub the sand off the scalp.

Unknown said...

I am FOREVER picking mulch out of Grace's hair. It drives me crazy!

But I love the pics of Yordy. She's so beautiful.

Erin said...

LOL! I swear my straight-haired child did not do this! But curly-Q boy love love loves to dump everything in his hair, we call him "velcro head" because it all sticks and is impossible to clean out of those curls :) Feeling your pain!

Aubrey said...

Love the pictures even though I'm having a mini freak out about the sand in her hair. That would drive me nuts! :)

The Hull's at #4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Hull's at #4 said...

Sorry for the delete. This is such a precious precious post! Truett and I loved the pictures.

Blessings,
Kim

Heather, Rick, and Tendai! said...

oh the joys of that curly hair.. our little girl (that we are in the proccess of adopting here in Mozambique where we live as missionaries) has a million suprises in her hair... im forever trying to get all the little fuzzys out of it! If she does this when we go to the beach i have no idea what we will do!
Your blog definetly encouraged me- nice to know someone else is going thru some of the same things.
Blessings, Heather.
www.rickandheather.blogspot.com

Kimmie said...

You certainly captured her joy Amy...how fun to bring so much of the beach back to your home ;-)

God is good.

We made an adoption announcement...come by and see when you get a minute or two. ;-)

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Cornwall -> Ethiopia said...

I LOVE it! How adorable and I'm sure "fun" for with the sand in the hair :).

Thank you for posting your previous post - it is exactly what I felt. I love your honesty and it's so encouraging to others!

Hope all is going well!

Three2Five said...

too cute! I had missed your last two posts. I love your honesty and am thankful for your transparency. I am sure that other families will appreciate it. I know I could have used it when we first got home. Lots of love...

Kimmie said...

Miss you...how about a post soon?

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration...with an overflowing heart of God's goodness!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted